Personal Work, Programming

Augmented Reality

[2017] - Augmented Reality.png

Over the 2 week Christmas break at the end of 2017 I set myself a challenge to create an augmented reality game which would incorporate multiplayer functionality for the Android mobile device.

In order to achieve my goal, I took it upon myself to learn, at the time, Unity’s new integration with Vuforia* alongside a third-party networking plugin called Photon Unity Network (PUN)**. As this was a one man project, I wasn’t able to implement all my intended functionality for an immersive gameplay experience but I did manage to achieve the goal I set out to complete.

I would say in hindsight it was an interesting experience. A few challenges presented themselves but of course I was able to overcome these by doing my research and being persistent. Most of the issues arose when setting up the intended software/plugins but once these issues were resolved implementation of the utilities was pretty straight forward.


*Vuforia allows a developer to create a Augmented Reality application by projecting a virtual model onto a live images or a simple 3D object using image detection algorithms.

**Photon Unity Network (PUN) is a multiplayer engine with a networking plugin for Unity which allows developers to create an application which includes the capabilities of cross-platform real-time gameplay.